Dr. Shrinidhi Ambinakudige, is a Professor in the Department of Geosciences at Mississippi State University. His research comprises both physical and human geographical approaches. Broadly, his research focuses on nature-society interactions, specifically the human dimensions of global environmental change. He seeks to explain how human knowledge, actions, and practices influence environmental change, and how those environmental changes further affect human actions, and human vulnerabilities. He has examined environmental changes such as land use and land cover, glacial retreat, biodiversity, and vegetation changes. His research study sites span from sites span from North America (U.S., Canada, and Mexico) and South America (Andes) to Europe, Central Asia (Tajikistan), and South Asia (India and Nepal). As a human geographer, he also study the US South, and internal migration flows in the US and Europe. He practices an interdisciplinary approach using theories and methods from human geography, environmental geography, geographic information systems and remote sensing.
- Ph.D. Geography (2006), Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida.
- MSc (1995), University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, India.
- BSc (1992), College of Agriculture, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, India.
- Professor: Department of Geosciences, Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS, August, 2018- present
- Associate Professor: Department of Geosciences, Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS, August, 2012- 2018
- Research Fellow: National Strategic Planning Analysis & Research Center (nSPARC), MSU
- Fellow: Geosystems Research Institute at Mississippi State University, MSU
- Assistant Professor: Department of Geosciences, Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS, August, 2006- 2012
- Visiting Assistant Professor : Department of Geosciences, University of West Georgia, Carrollton, GA, Aug 2005 – May 2006
Human dimensions of climate change, glaciers, agro-forest ecosystem, human geography, GIS, remote sensing
- GR 3113 Conservation of Natural Resources
- GR 4990/6990 Intermediate GIS
- GR 3303 - Survey of Geospatial Technologies
- GR 4303/6303 Principles of GIS (On campus)
- GR 8313 Advanced Cultural Geography
- GR 4233/6233 Geography of Asia
- GR 4253/6253 Geography of Africa
- GR4283/6283 Geography of Islamic World
- GR 2013 Cultural Geography
- Early Faculty Grant Award – 2008: By the Southeastern Division of Association of American Geographers
- Certified GIS Professional: By the GIS Certification Institute
- Morton Winsberg Outstanding Student Award: By the Department of Geography Florida State University – 2004-2005
- Member of Association of American Geographers, Sigma Xi, American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Southeastern Division of Association of American Geographers, American Geophysical Union, American Geographical Society, Gamma Theta Upsilon
- Destiny Crockett (Ph.D)
- Adjoa Intsiful (Ph.D)
- Nick Chastain (MS)
- Adjoa Intsiful (MS 2020)
- Sweta Tiwari (Ph.D 2020)
- Aynaz Lotfata (Ph.D 2019)
- Mary Chambers (MS)
- Pushkar Inamdhar (Ph.D 2017)
- Lucy Tetteh (MS 2014)
- Kabindra Joshi (MS 2012)
- Al Bryan Lim (MS 2011)
- Sami Khannal (MS 2009)
- James Burt (MS 2008)
- Tiwari, S., and S. Ambinakudige, S. 2021. Neighborhoods with MLK streets are poorer than national average and highly segregated, study reveals. The Conversation. January, 15, 2021. https://theconversation.com/neighborhoods-with-mlk-streets-are-poorer-th...
- Intsiful, A. and S. Ambinakudige. 2021. Glacier cover change assessment of the Columbia Icefield in the Canadian Rocky Mountains, Canada (1985 – 2018). Geosciences. 19: 11(1). https://doi.org/10.3390/geosciences11010019
- Ambinakudige, S. 2020. Future Coastal Population and Ecosystem Exposure to Sea Level Rise Along the European Coastline. European Journal of Environment and Earth Sciences, 1(5). https://doi.org/10.24018/ejgeo.2020.1.5.80
- Lichter, D., D. Parisi, and S. Ambinakudige. 2020. The spatial integration of immigrants in Europe (L’intégration spatiale des immigrés en Europe). N-IUSSP. September 14, 2020. https://www.niussp.org/article/the-spatial-integration-of-immigrants-in-...
- Tiwari, S., and S. Ambinakudige. 2020. Streetscapes and stereotyping: streets named after Martin Luther King, Jr., and the geographies of racial identity. GeoJournal. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10708-020-10291-4 View More
- Ambinakudige, S and *Intsiful. A. 2020. Spatiotemporal Analyses of Changing Cropping Patterns and Crop Rotations in the Mississippi Delta. Journal of the Mississippi Academy of Sciences - Special issue on Agriculture and Plant Sciences. 65(3), 228-236.
- Lotfata, A and Ambinakudige, S. 2020. Degradation of groundwater quality in the coastal aquifers of the USA. Sustainable Water Resources Management. 6 (41). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40899-020-00403-w
- Lichter, D., D. Parisi, and S. Ambinakudige. 2020. The Spatial Integration of Immigrants in Europe: A Cross-National Study. Population Research and Policy Review. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11113-019-09540
- Lotfata, A. and S. Ambinakudige. 2019. Factors Affecting the Spatial Pattern of Nitrate Contamination in Texas Aquifers, Management of Environmental Quality: An international Journal, 31(4).
- Zheng, Zhicheng; Xia, Haoming; Ambinakudige, Shrinidhi; Qin, Yaochen; Li, Yang; Xie, Zhixiang; Zhang, Lijun; Gu, Haibin. 2019. "Spatial Accessibility to Hospitals Based on Web Mapping API: An Empirical Study in Kaifeng, China" Sustainability 11, no. 4: 1160. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11041160
- Lotfata, A. and S. Ambinakudige. 2019. Natural Disaster and Vulnerability: An Analysis of 2016 Flooding in Louisiana. Southeastern Geography , 59(2) 2019: 130-152.
- Ambinakudige, S., Inamdar*, P., and Lotfata*, A. 2018. A Spectral Analysis of Snow in Mt. Rainier. Journal of geography and geology. 10(3); p20-25. • DOI:10.5539/jgg.v10n3p20
- Ambinakudige, S., D. Parisi, G. Cappello, and *A. Lotfata. 2017. A. Diversity or Segregation? A multi-decadal analysis of demographics of Atlanta neighborhoods. Spatial Demography. Pp1-22. 10.1007/s40980-017-0034-z
- Ambinakudige, Shrinidhi. “Geography of Glaciers.” 2017. In Oxford Bibliographies in Geography. Ed. Barney Warf. New York: Oxford University Press. DOI:10.1093/obo/9780199874002-0098
- Inamdhar, P and S. Ambinakudige. 2016. Spatial patterns of glacial changes in Southern America. PE& RS. 82(10), pp 811-818. doi: 10.14358/PERS.82.10.677