Professor, GIS and Geography
212 Hilbun Hall
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Dr. Shrinidhi Ambinakudige, is a Professor of Geography and GIS at Mississippi State University. His research encompasses both physical and human geographical approaches. The broad focus of his research is on the interactions between nature and society, specifically the human dimension of global environmental change. He seeks to explain how human knowledge, actions, and practices influence environmental change, and how those environmental changes in turn affect human actions, and human vulnerabilities. He has examined environmental changes such as land use and land cover, glacial retreat, biodiversity, and vegetation changes. His research focuses on the effects of environmental change on land use, land cover, glacial retreat, biodiversity, and vegetation. Research study sites include North America (U.S., Canada, and Mexico) and South America (Andes) as well as Europe, Central Asia (Tajikistan), and South Asia (India and Nepal). Furthermore, he studies food security, internal migration flows in the US and Europe as a human geographer. His research is interdisciplinary, drawing on theories and methods from human geography, environmental geography, geographic information systems, and remote sensing.
- Ph.D. Geography (2006), Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida.
- MSc (1995), University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, India.
- BSc (1992), College of Agriculture, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, India.
- Professor: Department of Geosciences, Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS, August, 2018- present
- Associate Professor: Department of Geosciences, Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS, August, 2012- 2018
- Assistant Professor: Department of Geosciences, Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS, August, 2006- 2012
- Visiting Assistant Professor : Department of Geosciences, University of West Georgia, Carrollton, GA, Aug 2005 – May 2006
Human dimensions of climate change, Food Security, Glaciers, Agro-forest ecosystem, Human geography, GIS, remote sensing
Courses Taught at Mississippi State University
- GR8563 GIS Research Applications
- GR 3113 Conservation of Natural Resources
- GR 4990/6990 Intermediate GIS
- GR 3303 - Survey of Geospatial Technologies
- GR 4303/6303 Principles of GIS (on campus)
- GR 8313 Advanced Cultural Geography
- GR 4233/6233 Geography of Asia
- GR 4253/6253 Geography of Africa
- GR4990/6990 Geography of Islamic World
- GR 2013 Cultural Geography
- Early Faculty Grant Award – 2008: By the Southeastern Division of Association of American Geographers
- Certified GIS Professional: By the GIS Certification Institute
- Morton Winsberg Outstanding Student Award: By the Department of Geography Florida State University – 2004-2005
- Member of Association of American Geographers, Sigma Xi, American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Southeastern Division of Association of American Geographers, American Geophysical Union, American Geographical Society, Gamma Theta Upsilon
- Zia Ahemed (Ph.D)
- Destiny Crockett (Ph.D)
- Adjoa Intsiful (Ph.D)
- Nick Chastain (MS)
- Adjoa Intsiful (MS 2020)
- Sweta Tiwari (Ph.D 2020)
- Aynaz Lotfata (Ph.D 2019)
- Mary Chambers (MS)
- Pushkar Inamdhar (Ph.D 2017)
- Lucy Tetteh (MS 2014)
- Kabindra Joshi (MS 2012)
- Al Bryan Lim (MS 2011)
- Sami Khannal (MS 2009)
- James Burt (MS 2008)
- Ali*, A, Sherman-Morris and S. Ambinakudige. 2022. Spatial Exploration of Social Vulnerability and COVID-19 related Health Outcomes in Mississippi, Southeastern Geographers, 62 (3), pp.213-230.
- Ahmed*, Z., Alam, R., Hussain, A.H.M.B., Ambinakudige. S. et al. 2022. Agricultural land conversion and land surface temperature change in four industrial areas in Bangladesh: results from remote sensing and DPSIR approach. Arab J Geosci 15, 932. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12517-022-10049-x.
- Shrinidhi Ambinakudige, Adjoa Intsiful*, 2022. Estimation of area and volume change in the glaciers of the Columbia Icefield, Canada using machine learning algorithms and Landsat images, Remote Sensing Applications: Society and Environment, Volume 26. 100732, ISSN 2352-9385, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rsase.2022.100732.
- Ahmed*, Z., Hussain, A.H.M.B., Ambinakudige, S. et al. 2022. Perceived Human-Induced Causes of Landslide in Chattogram Metropolitan Area in Bangladesh. Earth Syst Environ, 6, 499–515. https://doi.org/10.1007/s41748-022-00304-2.
- Ahmed*, Z., Alam, R., Ahmed, M.N.Q., Ambinakudige, S. et al. 2022. Does anthropogenic upstream water withdrawal impact on downstream land use and livelihood changes of Teesta transboundary river basin in Bangladesh? Environ Monit Assess 194, 59. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-021-09726-3. View More
- Dash, P., M. Devkota*, A.E. Mercer, S. Ambinakudige, 2022. A geographic weighted regression approach for improved total alkalinity estimates in the Northern Gulf of Mexico, Environmental Modelling & Software, V. 148. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2021.105275.
- *Sweta, T and S. Ambinakudige. 2021. Neighborhood Food Insecurity Index to identify Food Vulnerability and Food Deserts in the United States. Journal of Food Security, 9(4), 148-159. DOI:10.12691/jfs-9-4-2
- Chowdhury, T.R. Ahmed*, Z, Islam, S. Akter, S, Ambinakudige, S and Kung, H. 2021. Trend Analysis and Simulation of Human Vulnerability Based on Physical Factors of Riverbank Erosion Using RS and GIS. Earth Syst Environ. https://doi.org/10.1007/s41748-021-00247-0
- Tiwari, S., and S. Ambinakudige, S. 2021. Neighborhoods with MLK streets are poorer than national average and highly segregated, study reveals. The Conversation. January, 15, 2021. https://theconversation.com/neighborhoods-with-mlk-streets-are-poorer-th...
- Intsiful, A. and S. Ambinakudige. 2021. Glacier cover change assessment of the Columbia Icefield in the Canadian Rocky Mountains, Canada (1985 – 2018). Geosciences. 19: 11(1). https://doi.org/10.3390/geosciences11010019
- Ambinakudige, S. 2020. Future Coastal Population and Ecosystem Exposure to Sea Level Rise Along the European Coastline. European Journal of Environment and Earth Sciences, 1(5). https://doi.org/10.24018/ejgeo.2020.1.5.80
- Lichter, D., D. Parisi, and S. Ambinakudige. 2020. The spatial integration of immigrants in Europe (L’intégration spatiale des immigrés en Europe). N-IUSSP. September 14, 2020. https://www.niussp.org/article/the-spatial-integration-of-immigrants-in-...
- Tiwari, S., and S. Ambinakudige. 2020. Streetscapes and stereotyping: streets named after Martin Luther King, Jr., and the geographies of racial identity. GeoJournal. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10708-020-10291-4
- Ambinakudige, S and *Intsiful. A. 2020. Spatiotemporal Analyses of Changing Cropping Patterns and Crop Rotations in the Mississippi Delta. Journal of the Mississippi Academy of Sciences - Special issue on Agriculture and Plant Sciences. 65(3), 228-236.
- Lotfata, A and Ambinakudige, S. 2020. Degradation of groundwater quality in the coastal aquifers of the USA. Sustainable Water Resources Management. 6 (41). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40899-020-00403-w
- Lichter, D., D. Parisi, and S. Ambinakudige. 2020. The Spatial Integration of Immigrants in Europe: A Cross-National Study. Population Research and Policy Review. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11113-019-09540
- Lotfata, A. and S. Ambinakudige. 2019. Factors Affecting the Spatial Pattern of Nitrate Contamination in Texas Aquifers, Management of Environmental Quality: An international Journal, 31(4).
- Zheng, Zhicheng; Xia, Haoming; Ambinakudige, Shrinidhi; Qin, Yaochen; Li, Yang; Xie, Zhixiang; Zhang, Lijun; Gu, Haibin. 2019. "Spatial Accessibility to Hospitals Based on Web Mapping API: An Empirical Study in Kaifeng, China" Sustainability 11, no. 4: 1160. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11041160
- Lotfata, A. and S. Ambinakudige. 2019. Natural Disaster and Vulnerability: An Analysis of 2016 Flooding in Louisiana. Southeastern Geography , 59(2) 2019: 130-152.
- Ambinakudige, S., Inamdar*, P., and Lotfata*, A. 2018. A Spectral Analysis of Snow in Mt. Rainier. Journal of geography and geology. 10(3); p20-25. • DOI:10.5539/jgg.v10n3p20
- Ambinakudige, S., D. Parisi, G. Cappello, and *A. Lotfata. 2017. A. Diversity or Segregation? A multi-decadal analysis of demographics of Atlanta neighborhoods. Spatial Demography. Pp1-22. 10.1007/s40980-017-0034-z
- Ambinakudige, Shrinidhi. “Geography of Glaciers.” 2017. In Oxford Bibliographies in Geography. Ed. Barney Warf. New York: Oxford University Press. DOI:10.1093/obo/9780199874002-0098
- Inamdhar, P and S. Ambinakudige. 2016. Spatial patterns of glacial changes in Southern America. PE& RS. 82(10), pp 811-818. doi: 10.14358/PERS.82.10.677