Dr. Rinat Gabitov is an Assistant Professor in the Department Geosciences at Mississippi State University (MSU). His research interests lie in the area of experimental geochemistry with application to chemical oceanography and paleoclimatology. The focus of Gabitov’s research is to understand the fundamental controls on elemental and isotope partitioning between minerals and fluid, to use that knowledge to better interpret current geochemical proxies, and to identify and develop new proxies for reconstructing paleoenvironment.
- Ph.D., Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, 2002-2005 Dissertation: Partitioning of trace elements and stable isotopes between calcium carbonates and fluid.
- M.S., Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, 2000-2002
- Thesis: Solubility of fluorite and diffusion of its components in granitic melts.
- Diploma (BS+1 year), Moscow State University, Department of Geochemistry, 1994-1999
- Thesis: Solubility of fluorite in the water vapor: Experimental and calculating results.
- Assistant Professor, Mississippi State University, 2013–present
- Visiting Researcher: Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL), 2017-present
- Visiting Researcher: Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2013-2015
- Staff Research Associate II, University of California (UCLA), Los Angeles, 2012
- Postdoctoral Scholar, University of California (UCLA), Los Angeles,2009–2012
- Postdoctoral Scholar, California Institute of Technology, 2006–2009
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution and RPI, 2005–2006
- Development of geochemical proxies: The importance of climate proxies in understanding the extent of the environmental challenge that faces us cannot be overstated. However, the reliability of these records is entirely dependent on the soundness of the foundation on which they're constructed. The focus of Gabitov’s research is to understand the fundamental controls on elemental and isotope partitioning between minerals and fluid, to use that knowledge to better interpret current geochemical proxies, and to identify and develop new proxies for reconstructing paleoenvironment.
- Crystals growth
- Survey Earth Sci I (GG 1113)
- Intoduction to Geochemistry (GG 4633/6633)
- Instructor: Mineralogy (GG 4114/6114)
- Instructor: Petrology (GG 4123/6123)
- Hydrology (GG 8613, Distance Learning)
- Rocks and Minerals (GG 8133, Distance Learning)
- Instructor: Topics in Geochemistry (GG 8990)
- Instructor: Earthquakes (ESS 008), at UCLA
- Member of Geochemical Society
- American Geophysical Union
- Reviewer (Grants): United States-Israel Binational Science Foundation (BSF); European Research Council (ERC); NSF-OCE (Chemical Oceanography, Marine Geology and Geophysics); NSF-EAR (Geobiology and Low-Temperature Geochemistry); Russian Ministry of Science and Education (2013)
- Reviewer (Journals): Earth-Science Reviews, ACS Earth and Space Chemistry, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, Earth and Planetary Sciences, Biogeosciences, American Mineralogist, Chemical Geology, Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry, Minerals, Materials, Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems.
- Anh Ngyen (MS, PhD) 2016-2018, 2018-present
- Angel Jimenez (PhD) 2018-present
- Noah Van Hartesveldt (MS in collaboration with LANL) 2018-present
- Timothy Palmer (MS, PhD) 2016-2018, 2018-present
- Brittany Garner (PhD) 2018-present
- Jeremy Weremeichik (PhD) 2015-2017
- Jonney Mitchell (MS) 2013-2016
- Aleksandra Novak (MS) 2014-2016
- John Paul Jones (PhD) 2013-2014
- Gabitov R.I., Sadekov A., Yapaskurt V., Borrelli C., Bychkov A., Sabourin K., and Perez-Huerta A. (2019) Elemental Uptake by Calcite Slowly Grown From Seawater Solution: An in-situ Study via Depth Profiling. Front. Earth Sci. 7:51. doi: 10.3389/feart.2019.00051
- Gabitov R.I., Borrelli C., Buettner J., Kirkland B., Skarke A., Trail D., Garner B., Testa M., Wahidi M., Hoff C., Khasanov S., Panieri G., Thirumalai R., Thomas J., Weremeichik J., Zverkova I. (2019) Characterization of Carbonate Crust from a Recently Discovered Methane Seep on the North Atlantic Continental Margin of the USA. Minerals 9, 138, , https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdoi.or...
- Simakin A.G., Salova T.P., Gabitov R.I., Kogarko L.N., and Tyutyunnik O.A. (2019) Gold solubility in reduced carbon-bearing fluid.
Geochemistry International 57, 400–406
- Allen P.J., DeVries R.J., Fox D.A., Gabitov R.I., Anderson W.G. (2018) Trace element and strontium isotopic analysis of Gulf Sturgeon fin rays to assess habitat use. Environmental Biology of Fishes. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10641-018-0713-7
- Gabitov R.I., Sadekov A., and Migdisov A. (2017) REE incorporation into calcite individual crystals as one time spike addition. Minerals (INVITED) 7(11), 204; doi:10.3390/min7110204 View More
- Sturrock C.P., Catlos E.J., Miller N.R., Fall A., Larson T., Gabitov R.I., Akgun A., and Yilmaz I.O. (2017) Fluids along the North Anatolian Fault, Niksar Basin, north central Turkey: Insight from stable isotopic and geochemical analysis of calcite veins. Journal of Structural Geology, 101, 58-79, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jsg.2017.06.004.
- Saenger C., Gabitov R.I., Farmer J., Watkins J., Stone R. (2017) Linear correlations in bamboo coral ð13C and ð18O sampled by SIMS and micromill: evaluating paleoceanographic potential and biomineralization mechanisms using ð11B and Δ47 variability. Chemical Geology (INVITED), 454, 1-14, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chemgeo.2017.02.014.26.
- Weremeichik J.M., Gabitov R.I., Thien B., and Sadekov A. (2017) The effect of growth rate on uranium partitioning between individual calcite crystals and fluid. Chemical Geology, 450, 145–153, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chemgeo.2016.12.026.
- Simakin A.G., Salova T.P., Gabitov R.I., and Isaenko S.I. (2016) Dry CO2-CO fluid as an important potential Deep Earth solvent. Geofluids, 16, 1043–1057. doi:10.1111/gfl.12204
- Peacock E., Gabitov R.I., Frisch J., Carlock B., Henderson K., and Hadden C. (2016) Archaeological Otolith Chemistry as a Tool for Seasonality and Site Catchment Studies: Some Preliminary Considerations. J. Archaeol. Sci., 65, 11–19.
- Jones J.P., Carricart-Ganivet J.P., Iglesias-Prieto R., Enríquez S., Ackerson M., and Gabitov R.I. (2015) Microstructural variation in oxygen isotopes and elemental calcium ratios in the coral skeleton of Orbicella annularis. Chemical Geol., 419, 192-199.
- R.I. Gabitov, C. Rollion-Bard, A. Tripati, and A. Sadekov (2014) In situ study of boron partitioning between calcite and fluid at different crystal growth rates. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 137, 81–92.
- R.I. Gabitov, A. Leinweber, and A. Sadekov (2014) Crystal growth rate effect on Mg/Ca and Sr/Ca partitioning between calcite and fluid: An in situ approach. Chem. Geol. 367, 70–82.
- R.I. Gabitov, A.C. Gagnon, Y. Guan, J.M. Eiler, and J.F. Adkins (2013) Accurate Me/Ca ratio measurements in carbonates by SIMS and nanoSIMS and an assessment of heterogeneity in common carbonate standards. Chem. Geol. 356, 94–108.
- R. I. Gabitov (2013) Growth-rate induced disequilibrium of oxygen isotopes in aragonite: An in situ study. Chem. Geol., doi:10.1016/j.chemgeo.2013.05.015.
- R.I. Gabitov, E.B. Watson, and A. Sadekov (2012) Oxygen isotope fractionation between calcite and fluid as a function of growth rate and temperature: An in situ study. Chem. Geol. 306-307, 92-102.
- R.I. Gabitov, A.K. Schmitt, M. Rosner, K.D. McKeegan, G.A. Gaetani, A.L. Cohen, E.B. Watson, and T.M. Harrison (2011) In situ d7Li, Li/Ca, and Mg/Ca analyses of synthetic aragonites. Geochem. Geophys. Geosys., 12, Q03001, doi:10.1029/2010GC003322.
- R.I. Gabitov (2010) Partitioning of Sr, Mg, U, 18O/16O, and 13C/12C Between Calcium Carbonate Minerals and Fluid at Different Temperatures and Crystal Growth Rates. VDM Verlag Dr. Muller e.K., p.124.
- M. Holcomb, A.L. Cohen, R.I. Gabitov, and J.L. Hutter (2009) Compositional and morphological features of aragonite precipitated experimentally from seawater and biogenically by corals. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 73, 4166–4179.
- R.I. Gabitov, G.A. Gaetani, E.B. Watson, A.L. Cohen, and H. L. Ehrlich (2008) Experimental determination of growth rate effect on U6+ and Mg2+ partitioning between aragonite and fluid at elevated U6+ concentration. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta, 72, 4058–4068.
- R.I. Gabitov and E. B. Watson (2006) Partitioning of strontium between calcite and fluid. Geochem. Geophys. Geosys., 7, Q11004, doi:10.1029/2005GC001216.
- M. Ding J.L. Conca, C. den Auwer, R.I. Gabitov, N.J. Hess, P. Paviet-Hartmann, P.D. Palmer, V. LoPresti, and S.D. Conradson (2006) Chemical speciation of heterogeneously reduced Pu in synthetic brines. Radiochim. Acta, 94, 249-259, DOI 10.1524/ract.2006.94.5.249.
- R.I. Gabitov, J. D. Price, and E. B. Watson (2005) Diffusion of Ca and F in haplogranitic melt C and 100 MPa from dissolving fluorite crystals at 900, 1000 degrees C Geochem. Geophys. Geosys., 6, doi: 10.1029/2004GC000832.
- R.I. Gabitov, J. D. Price, E. B. Watson (2005) Solubility of fluorite in haplogranitic melt of variable alkalies and alumina content at 800-1000 degrees C and 100 MPa. Geochem. Geophys. Geosys., 6, doi: 10.1029/2004GC000870.
- R.I. Gabitov, J. D. Price, I.R. Gabitov, and E. B. Watson (2001) The solubility of fluorite and diffusion of its components in haplogranitic melt at T=800, 900, and 1000 degrees C and P=100 Mpa. Los Alamos Preprint, LAUR-01-6926, Los Alamos, New Mexico.