Dr. Padmanava Dash is an Associate Professor in the Department Geosciences at Mississippi State University (MSU). He specializes in remote sensing and water biogeochemistry. His broad research interests include investigating the conditions under which water quality issues develop, assessing their ecological impacts, and developing visualizations for their management and mitigation. His research includes field, laboratory, Unmanned Aerial Systems (UASs), and satellite remote sensing approaches to study harmful algal blooms, suspended sediments, colored dissolved organic matter (CDOM), acidification, pathogens, nutrients, toxic elements and heavy metals to enhance the current state of knowledge on detection and mapping of water quality parameters and thus support federal, state and coastal community efforts to manage human health and fisheries.
His research group has developed a water quality visualization tool that can be accessed at https://water.geosci.msstate.edu/.
A newspaper article featuring Dr. Dash:
- Ph.D., Louisiana State University, Department of Oceanography and Coastal Sciences, 2011, Dissertation: Quantitative Mapping of Cyanobacterial Blooms using Oceansat-1 OCM Satellite Data.
- M.S., Bowling Green State University, Department of Geology, 2005, Thesis: SeaWiFS Algorithm for Mapping Phycocyanin in Incipient Freshwater Cyanobacterial Blooms.
- Associate Professor, Dept. of Geosciences, Mississippi State University, 2019-Present
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Geosciences, Mississippi State University, 2013-2019
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Biology and Environmental Science, Jackson State University, 2012-2013
- Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant, Louisiana State University, 2005-2011
- Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant, Bowling Green State University, 2003–2005
- Assessment of water quality
- Remote sensing of water quality parameters
- Determining the influence of land use & land cover, and precipitation on water quality
- Source-tracking pollutants using CDOM & parallel factor modeling
- Coastal acidification
- Groundwater estimation using GRACE satellite data
- Determining the influence of surface discharge of untreated waste water using UASs
- Climate-smart precision agriculture using remote sensing technology and Impacts of Agriculture on Water Quality
- GR 4333/6333 Remote Sensing of the Physical Environment
- GR 4343/6343 Advanced Remote Sensing
- GR 8333 Field Remote Sensing
- GG 8633 Water Biogeochemistry
- GG 3613 Water Resources
- GG 3133 Environmental Geology
- Coastal Estuarine Research Federation (CERF)
- American Society of Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO)
- American Geophysical Union (AGU)
Current Post-doctoral Fellow:
- Dr. M. S. Sankar
Current Graduate Students:
- Wondimagegn Beshah (Ph.D.)
- Ankita Katkar (Ph. D.)
- Rusch Ragland (M.S.)
Past Graduate Students:
- Sankar M. S. (Ph.D.)
- Landon Sanders (M.S.)
- Sudeera wickramarathna (M.S.)
- Saurav Silwal (Ph.D.)
- Shatrughan Singh (Ph.D.)
- Victoria Cheek (M.S.)
- Madhur Devkota (M.S.)
- Sushant Shekhar (M.S.)
- Paul, V., Sankar, M.S., Vattikuti, S., Dash, P., Arslan, Z. 2020. Pollution assessment and land use land cover influence on trace metal distribution in sediments from five aquatic systems in southern USA, Chemosphere, 263, 128243.
- Risal, A., Parajuli, P., Dash, P., Ouyang, Y., Linhoss, A. 2020. Sensitivity of hydrology and water quality to variation in land use and land cover data, Agricultural Water Management, 241, 106366.
- Zarzar, C.M., Dash, P., Dyer, J.L., Moorhead, R., Hathcock, L. 2020. Development of a Simplified Radiometric Calibration Framework for Water-Based and Rapid Deployment Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) Operations, Drones, 4, 17.
- Osorio, R.J., Linhoss, A., Dash, P. 2020. Evaluation of Marsh Terraces for Wetland Restoration: A Remote Sensing Approach, Water, 12, 336 https://doi.org/10.3390/w12020336.
- Sankar, M.S., Dash, P., Lu, Y., Turnage, G., Shoemaker, C. M., Chen, S., Moorhead, R. J. 2020. Land use and land cover control on the spatial variation of dissolved organic matter across 41 lakes in Mississippi, USA, Hydrobiologia, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10750-019-04174-0. View More
- Sankar, M.S., Dash, P., Lu, Y., Paul, V., Mercer, A.E., Arslan, Z., Varco, J.J., and Rodgers, J.C. 2019. Dissolved organic matter and trace element variability in a blackwater-fed bay following precipitation, Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 231, 106452, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2019.106452.
- Shuo, C., Lu, Y. H., Dash, P., Das, P., Li, J., Capps, K., Majidzadeh, H., and Elliot, M. 2019. Hurricane pulses: Small watershed exports of dissolved nutrients and organic matter during large storms in the Southeastern USA, Science of the Total Environment, 689, 232-244.
- Gao, F., Feng, G., Han M., Dash, P., Jenkins. J., and Liu, C. 2019. Assessment of surface water resources in the big sunflower river watershed using coupled SWAT–MODFLOW model, Water, 11, 528.
- Singh, S., Dash, P., Sankar, M. S., Silwal, S., Lu, Y. H., Shang, P., and Moorhead, R., J. 2019. Hydrological and Biogeochemical Controls of Seasonality in Dissolved Organic Matter Delivery to a Blackwater Estuary, Estuaries and Coasts, 42, 2, 439-454.
- Sankar, M. S., Dash, P., Singh, S., Lu, Y. H., Mercer, A. E., and Chen, S. 2019. Effect of photo-biodegradation and biodegradation on the biogeochemical cycling of dissolved organic matter across diverse surface water bodies, Journal of Environmental Sciences, 77, 130-147.
- Ying, O., Parajuli, P., Feng, G., Leininger, T. D., Wan, Y., and Dash, P. 2018. Application of Climate Assessment Tool to Estimate Climate Change Impacts on Nutrient Loading from Local Watersheds, Journal of Hydrology, 563, 363-371.
- Singh, S., Dash, P., Silwal, S., Moorhead, R., Feng, G., and Adeli, A. 2017. Influence of land use and land cover on the spatial variability of dissolved organic matter in multiple aquatic environments, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 24, 16, 14124-14141.
- Maguigan, M., Rodgers, J., Dash, P., and Meng, Q. 2016. Assessing net primary production in montane wetlands from proximal, airborne, and satellite remote sensing platforms, Advances in Remote Sensing, 5, 2, 118-130.
- Nagaraju, A., Sreedhar, Y., Thejaswi, A., and Dash, P. 2016. Integrated Approach Using Remote Sensing and GIS for Assessment of Groundwater Quality and Hydrogeomorphology in Certain Parts of Tummalapalle Area, Cuddapah District, Andhra Pradesh, India, Advances in Remote Sensing, 5, 2, 83-92.
- Arveti, N., Etikala, B., and Dash, P. 2016. Land Use/Land Cover Analysis Based on Various Comprehensive Geospatial Data Sets: A Case Study from Tirupati Area, South India. Advances in Remote Sensing, 5, 2, 73-82.
- Dash, P., Silwal S., Ikenga, J. O., Pinckney, J. L., Arslan, Z., and Lizotte, R. E. 2015. Water quality of four major lakes in Mississippi, USA: Impacts on human and aquatic ecosystem health, Water, 7, 4999-5030.
- Dash, P., Walker, N., Mishra, D. and D’Sa, E. 2012. Atmospheric Correction and Vicarious Calibration of Oceansat-1 Ocean Color Monitor (OCM) Data in Coastal Case 2 Waters, Remote Sensing, 4, 6, 1716-1740.
- Dash, P., Walker, N., Mishra, D., Hu, C., Pinckney, J., and D’Sa, E. 2011. Estimation of cyanobacterial pigments in a freshwater lake using OCM satellite data, Remote Sensing of Environment, 115, 12, 3409-3423.
- Garcia, A., Bargu, S., Dash, P., Rabalais, N., Morrison, W. and Walker, N. 2010. Evaluating the potential risk of microcystins to blue crab (Callinectes sapidus) fisheries and human health in a eutrophic estuary. Harmful Algae, 9, 134–143.
- Dash, P., and Vincent R. K. 2005. Computer Animation of Cyanobacteria Blooms in Lake Erie from July-October 2003, As Mapped from SeaWiFS Data with a New Phycocyanin Algorithm, Proceedings of the 16th Pecora Conference on Global Priorities in Land Remote Sensing, Sioux Falls, SD, October 23-27.
- Anbazhagan, S., and Dash, P. 2003. Environmental case study of Cauvery river flood plain. GIS Development, 7, 12, 30-35.