Assistant Professor of Geospatial Sciences and Geography
213 Hilbun Hall
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Dr. Fikriyah Winata is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Geosciences at Mississippi State University. Her research encompasses human geography and geospatial sciences. Broadly, her research seeks to understand how humans’ interactions with places affect their health and wellbeing, especially among marginalized communities. Dr. Winata uses GIS, spatial and statistical analyses, and mixed-methods approaches to investigate access to health care, healthy food stores, and health-promoting places and social networks in the United States, Hong Kong, and Indonesia. In addition, she has investigated the mobility patterns and access to therapeutic landscapes & networks among Indonesian female domestic workers (FDWs) in Hong Kong who live within space and time constraints due to the nature of their employment. As a human geographer with a strong background and interest in GIS, Dr. Winata’s research contributes to health and wellbeing geographies, immigrant health, feminist geography, and geospatial sciences.
- Ph.D. Geography (2022), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Champaign, Illinois.
- M.S. Geography (2018), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Champaign, Illinois.
- B.S. Geography (2012), University of Indonesia, Depok, Indonesia.
- Assistant Professor: Department of Geosciences, Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS, Aug 2022 – present
- GIS Specialist and Instructor: Esri Indonesia, Jakarta, Indonesia, Jan 2013 – Jul 2016
- Health geography, spatial epidemiology, GIS, healthcare and healthy food access, spatial and statistical analysis, mixed-methods, feminist geography, immigrant health, urban health, wellbeing geography, and mental health.
- GR 4123/6123 Urban Geography
- 2021: Race, Ethnicity, and Place (REP) Conference Student Travel Grant Award, XIth Race, Ethnicity, and Place & MAD-AAG Conference.
- 2021: Messina Stanley Graduate Scholarship, Department of Geography and GIS, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- 2021: Cartography Specialty Group Travel Grant for Underrepresented Groups, Cartography Specialty Group – American Association of Geographers (AAG).
- 2021: Charles Alexander Graduate Fellowship for Women in Geography, Department of Geography and GIS, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- 2020: Graduate College Dissertation Travel Grants, Graduate College – University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- 2020: The Nelle M. Signor Graduate Scholarship in International Relations, Office of the Vice Provost for International Affairs & Global Strategies, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- 2020: LAS Global Studies Course Development Grant, Global Studies, College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- 2020: President's Research in Diversity Travel Award, Executive Vice President/Vice President of Academic Affairs, University of Illinois System.
- 2020: Melinda S. Meade Travel Award, Health and Medical Geography Specialty Group (HMGSG), American Association of Geographers.
- 2020: AGSG Research Award, Applied Geography Specialty Group (AGSG), American Association of Geographers.
- 2020-2022: Graduate Student Representative, Health and Medical Geography Specialty Group (HMGSG), American Association of Geographers.
- 2019-2021: “Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students” in multiple semesters, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Winata, F., McLafferty, S.L., Guhlincozzi, A.R., and Zhou, Y. (2023). Geospatial Technologies and Public Health. In The Routledge Handbook of Geospatial Technologies and Society. Kent, A. J., and Specht, D (Eds). Taylor & Francis. In-press
- McLafferty, S.L, and Winata, F. (2023). Conducting Questionnaire Survey. In Key Methods in Geography 4th Edition. Clifford, N., Cope, M., Gillespie, T., and French, S (Eds). SAGE Publisher. Forthcoming
- Singleton, C.R., Winata, F., Roehll A.M, Adamu, I., and McLoughlin, G.M. (2022) Community-Level Factors Associated with Geographic Access to Food Retailers offering Nutrition Incentives in Chicago, IL. Preventing Chronic Disease, 2022;19:210211. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5888/pcd19.210211
- Winata, F., and McLafferty, S. L. (2021). Spatial and Socioeconomic Inequalities in the
Availability of Community Health Centres in the Jakarta region, Indonesia. Geospatial Health vol. 16(2) https://doi.org/10.4081/gh.2021.982
- McLafferty, S. L., Guhlincozzi, A., and Winata, F. (2021) Counting COVID: Quantitative Geographic Approaches to COVID-19. In COVID-19 and Similar Futures Geographical Perspectives, Issues and Agendas. Andrews, G.J., Crooks, V., Pearce, J., and Messina, J. (Eds). Springer View More
- Gilliam, M. E, Gronemeyer, P., Chakraborty, S., Winata, F., Lyons, L. A., Miller-Hunt, C., Tuten, H. C., Debosik, S., Freeman, D., Ruiz, M. O., Mateus-Pinilla, Nohra. (2020). Impact of Unexplored and Multiple Data Sources on the Historical Distribution of Three Vector Tick Species in Illinois. Journal of Medical Entomology, Vol 57 Issue 3, 872-883 https://doi.org/10.1093/jme/tjz235
- Syanalia, R. A., and Winata, F. (2018). Decarbonizing Energy in Bali with Solar Photovoltaic: GIS- Based Evaluation on Grid-Connected System. Indonesian Journal of Energy Vol. 1 No. 2 (2018) 5- 20 DOI: https://doi.org/10.33116/ije.v1i2.22