Dr. Athena Owen Nagel is an Assistant Clinical Professor in the Department of Geosciences at Mississippi State University (MSU). She obtained her Ph.D in Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, in 2014 and has over 10 years of experience in island and coastal karst, and karst morphometric research at MSU. She has researched karst in more than 4 different countries, including several islands in the Bahamas, Mallorca, Spain, Barbados and Curacao. Dr. Owen Nagel has published and presented on several different projects including morphometric comparisons of coastal cave types, the discovery of biofilms in Bahamian pseudokarst, and karst distribution and formation history along the coastline of Mallorca. Outside of karst Dr. Owen Nagel was selected to participate in the Maroon and Write Quality Enrichment Program, is involved in numerous departmental activities, and has published on teaching GIS via distance learning.
- Ph.D., Mississippi State University, Department of Geosciences, 2012-2014
- Dissertation: Investigation of macro and micro scale void spaces: Preservation, modeling and biofilm interactions.
- M.S., Mississippi State University, Department of Geosciences, 2005- 2007
- Thesis: Tafoni Cave in Quaternary Carbonate Eolianites: Examples from the Bahamas
- B.S., University of Central Missouri, Department of Biology and Earth Science, 1999-2004.
- GIS Distance Learning Instructor, Mississippi State University
- Environmental Scientist/GIS Specialist on an EPA START Contract URS Operating Services
- Island and Coastal Karst Formation, Karst Morphometrics, Geographic Information Systems
- GR 8913 Philosophy and Ethics in Geoscience Research
- GR 8563 GIS Research Applications
- GR 4313/6313 Advanced GIS
- GR 4333/6333 Remote Sensing of the Physical Environment
- GG 8333 Planetary Geology
- GR 4303/6303 Principles of GIS
- GG 6103 Geology Processes and Products
- GR 4813 Natural Hazards
- GG 1113 Survey of Earth Science I
- GG 1111 Earth Science Lab
- GG 8503 Landforms
- GR 8400 Field Methods in Geosciences: Local Field Methods
- Various TIG Field Methods Courses Including: The Great Plains Storm Chase and Lake Superior
- Geological Society of America
- National Speleological Society
- Coastal Cave Survey
- Association of Women Geoscientist
- Gamma Theta Upsilon
- Sigma Gamma Epsilon
- Ronald E. McNair Scholar
- Lambda Sigma Society
- 2015 Member of the Maroon and Write Quality Enrichment Program
- Mylroie, J. E., Kambesis, P. N., Owen Nagel, A. M., Sumrall, J. B., Larson, E. B., Mylroie, J. R., and Lace, M. J., 2015, Flank margin cave development at Cala Pi and Cala Figuera, Mallorca Island, Spain. In Glumac, B. and Savarese, M., eds., Proceedings of the 16th Symposium on the geology of the Bahamas and other carbonate regions.
- Kambesis, P. N., Mylroie, J. R., Mylroie, J. E., Larson, E. B., Owen Nagel, A. M., and Sumrall, J. B., 2015, Influence of karst denudation on the northwest coast of Curaçao. In Glumac, B. and Savarese, M., eds., Proceedings of the 16th Symposium on the geology of the Bahamas and other carbonate regions.
- Owen, A. M., 2013, Tafoni Development in the Bahamas, In Coastal Karst Landforms, Lace, M. J., and Mylroie, J. E., eds., 2013, Coastal Karst Landforms. Coastal Research Library 5, Springer, Dordrecht, 111-126.
- Mylroie, J.E. Kambesis, P. N. Owen, A.M., Sumrall, J. B. Larson, E. B., Mylroie, J.R. 2013 Flank Margin Cave Development at Cala Pi and Cala Giguera, Mallorca Island Spain. In Press in Proceedings of the 15th Symposium on the geology of the Bahamas and other carbonate regions,
- Mylroie, J. R., Mylroie, J. E., Infnate, L. R., Owen, A,. M., 2012, Flank margin caves as high resolution sea-level indicators: Studia Universitatis Babeşs-Bolyai, Geology, Special Issue 2012, 39-41.