Dr. Adam Skarke is a geologist with broad research interests in the fields of marine geology and geophysics. Specific research interests include: sediment transport processes, boundary layer hydrodynamics, bedform evolution, coastal/shelf morphodynamics, stratigraphy, physical oceanography, seafloor fluid exchange, and ocean mapping. Adam’s technical approach is field based and focused on the quantitative analysis of, hydrodynamic, geophysical, geological, and meteorological data collected with innovative environmental observing sensors and platforms.
- Ph.D., University of Delaware, Department of Geological Sciences, 2013
- Dissertation: Coastal Morphodynamics of the Estuary-Shelf Interface
- M.S., University of Delaware, Department of Geological Sciences, 2008
- Thesis: Applications of CHIRP Sonar Acoustic Reflection Coefficient for Seafloor Sediment Classification: Results for the Delaware Estuary
- B.A., Colgate University, Geology, 2003
- Assistant Professor of Geology, Department of Geosciences, Mississippi State University, 2014 – Present.
- Postdoctoral Associate, Geosystems Research Institute, Mississippi State University, 2013.
- Physical Scientist, Office of Ocean Exploration and Research, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 2011-2013.
- Marine Geology, Coastal Morphodynamics, Sedimentology, Stratigraphy, Seafloor Gas Seep Systems
- GG 3603 Introduction to Oceanography
- GG 4304/6304 Principles of Sedimentary Deposits I
- GG 4443/6443 Principles of Sedimentary Deposits II
- GG 8561 Geoscience Seminar
- GG 8572 Geologic Literature
- Member American Geophysical Union
- Member Geological Society of America
- State Co-Representative to National Association of Geoscience Teachers
- Mary Boyett
- Danielle Merritt
- Asa Mullennex
- Caitlin Ruby
- Fitzpatrick, P. J., Y. Lau, D. Merritt, R. Moorhead, A. Skarke, K. Kreider, C. Brown, R. Carlon, G. Hine, T. Lampoudi, and A. Leonardi (2015), A review of the 2014 Gulf of Mexico Wave Glider® field program. Marine Technology Society Journal, 49, 64-71.
- Skarke, A., C. Ruppel, M. Kodis, D. Brothers, and E. Lobecker (2014), Widespread methane leakage from the sea floor on the northern US Atlantic margin, Nature Geoscience, 7(9), 657-661.
- Brothers, L., C. Van Dover, C. German, C. Kaiser, D. Yoerger, C. Ruppel, E. Lobecker, A. Skarke, and J. Wagner (2013), Evidence for extensive methane venting on the southeastern US Atlantic margin, Geology, 41(7), 807-810.
- Skarke, A., and A. C. Trembanis (2011), Parameterization of bedform morphology and defect density with fingerprint analysis techniques, Continental Shelf Research, 31(16), 1688-1700.
- Trembanis, A., S. Nebel, A. Skarke, D. Coleman, R. Ballard, A. Yankovsky, I. Buynevich, and S. Voronov (2011), Bedforms, coastal-trapped waves, and scour process observations from the continental shelf of the northern Black Sea, Geological Society of America Special Papers, 473, 165-178.