Associate Research Professor, Oceanography
1021 Balch Boulevard, Suite 1003
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Dr. Ebenezer Nyadjro is an Associate Research Professor in the Northern Gulf Institute and Department of Geosciences at Mississippi State University. He is also affiliated with NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI), located at Stennis Space Center, MS. Dr. Nyadjro is a physical and satellite oceanographer with research interests in microplastics, ocean currents, ocean salinity, air-sea interactions, ocean data management, and ocean leadership and capacity building. He is the marine microplastics database manager at NCEI.
- Ph.D. Physical/Satellite Oceanography (2012), University of South Carolina
- M.S. Organizational Leadership (2019), Cameron University, Oklahoma
- M.S. Marine Science (2009), University of North Carolina Wilmington
- B. S. Oceanography & Fisheries (2005), University of Ghana
- Associate Research Professor, Northern Gulf Institute and Department of Geosciences /Mississippi State University, Jan 2020 – present
- Oceanographer, National Centers for Environmental Information, NOAA, Jan 2020 – present
- Assistant Research Professor, Department of Physics, University of New Orleans, Jan 2015 – Dec 2019
- Oceanographer, Ocean Dynamics and Prediction Branch, Naval Research Laboratory, Stennis Space Center, MS, Jan 2015 – Dec 2019
- NRC Research Associate, NOAA-Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory, Seattle, Washington, Aug 2012-Dec 2014
- variability of ocean currents
- ocean salinity and freshwater dynamics
- temperature variability and heat budget
- equatorial oceanography (equatorial ocean dynamics)
- air-sea interactions and tropical climate variability
- ocean leadership and capacity building
- Hall, S., B. Subrahmanyam, E. S. Nyadjro, and A. Samuelsen (2021). Surface freshwater fluxes in the Arctic and Subarctic Seas during contrasting years of high and low summer sea ice extent. (in revision Remote Sensing).
- Nyadjro, E. S., Z. Wang, J. Reagan, J. Cebrian, and J. Shriver (2021). Bio-physical changes in the Gulf of Mexico during the 2018 Hurricane Michael. IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, 10.1109/LGRS.2021.3068600.
- Nyadjro, E. S., A. V. Rydbeck, T. G. Jensen, J. G. Richman, and J. F. Shriver (2020). On the Generation and Salinity Impacts of Intraseasonal Westward Jets in the Equatorial Indian Ocean. Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans, 125, https://doi.org/10.1029/2020JC016066.
- Trott, C. B., B. Subrahmanyam, and E. S. Nyadjro (2019). Influence of mesoscale features on mixed layer dynamics in the Arabian Sea. Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans, 121, doi: 10.1029/2019JC014965.
- Ferster, B., B. Subrahmanyam, I. Fukumori, and E. S. Nyadjro (2018). Variability of View More
- Southern Ocean Transports. Journal of Physical Oceanography, 48, DOI: 10.1175/JPO-D-18-0055.1, 2,667-2,688.
- Nyadjro, E. S., T. G. Jensen, J. G. Richman, and J. F. Shriver (2017). On the relationship between wind, SST, and the thermocline in the Seychelles-Chagos Thermocline Ridge. IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, 14 (12), doi:10.1109/LGRS.2017.2762961).
- Rydbeck, A. V., T. G. Jensen, and E. S. Nyadjro (2017). Intraseasonal Sea Surface Warming in the Western Indian Ocean by Oceanic Equatorial Rossby Waves. Geophysical Research Letters, 44, doi: 10.1002/2017GL073331.
- Burns, J., B. Subrahmanyam, E. S. Nyadjro, and V. S. N. Murty (2016). Tropical cyclone activity over the Southwest Tropical Indian Ocean. Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans, 121, doi: 10.1002/2016JC011992.
- Jensen, T. G., H. W. Wijesekera, E. S. Nyadjro, P. Thoppil, J. Shriver, K. K. Sandeep, and Vimlesh Pant (2016). Modeling salinity exchanges between the equatorial Indian Ocean and the Bay of Bengal. Oceanography, 29 (2), 92-101.
- Nyadjro, E. S., and B. Subrahmanyam (2016). Spatial and temporal variability of central Indian Ocean salinity fronts observed by SMOS. Remote Sensing of Environment, 180, 146–153,10.1016/j.rse.2016.02.049.
- D'Addezio, J.M, B. Subrahmanyam, E. S. Nyadjro, and V.S.N. Murty (2015). Seasonal variability of salinity and salt transport in the Northern Indian Ocean. Journal of Physical Oceanography, 45, 1947-1966, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JPO-D-14-0210.1.
- Wiafe, G., and E. S. Nyadjro (2015). Satellite observations of upwelling in the Gulf of Guinea. IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, 12 (2), 1066:1070, doi: 10.1109/LGRS.2014.2379474.
- Nyadjro, E. S., and M. J. McPhaden (2014). Variability of zonal currents in the equatorial Indian Ocean on seasonal to interannual time scales. Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans, 119, doi: 10.1002/2014JC010380.
- Nyadjro, E. S., and B. Subrahmanyam (2014). SMOS satellite mission reveals the salinity structure of the Indian Ocean Dipole. IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, 11 (9), 1564-1568, doi: 10.1109/LGRS.2014.2301594. (Cover).
- Sarma, Y.V.B, A. Govender, E. S. Nyadjro, and S. Piontkovski (2013). Long-term changes in sea surface temperature at selected locations in the Sea of Oman and the Arabian Sea off Oman. International Journal of Marine Science, 3 (18), 145-150, doi: 10.5376/ijms.2013.03.001.
- Nyadjro, E. S., B. Subrahmanyam, and B. S. Giese (2013). Variability of salt flux in the Indian Ocean during 1960-2008. Remote Sensing of Environment, 134, 175-193.
- Kamykowski, D., K. G. Pridgen, J. M. Morrison, A. A. McCulloch, E. S. Nyadjro, C. A. Thomas, and G. Sinclair (2013). Cold front induced changes on the Florida panhandle shelf during October 2008. Continental Shelf Research, 54, 52-66.
- Subrahmanyam, B., G. Grunseich, and E. S. Nyadjro (2013). Preliminary SMOS salinity measurements and validation in the Indian Ocean. IEEE Transactions Geoscience and Remote Sensing , 51, 12, doi:10.1109/TGRS.2012.2199122.
- Nyadjro, E. S., B. Subrahmanyam, V.S.N. Murty, and J.F. Shriver (2012). The role of salinity on the dynamics of the Arabian Sea Mini Warm Pool. Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans, doi: 10.1029/2012JC007978.
- Nyadjro, E. S., B. Subrahmanyam, and J. F. Shriver (2011). Seasonal variability of salt transport during the Indian Ocean monsoons. Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans 116, doi: 10.1029/2011JC006993.
- Nyadjro, E. S., B. Subrahmanyam, V.S.N. Murty, and J.F. Shriver (2010). Salt transport in the near-surface layer in the monsoon-influenced Indian Ocean using HYCOM. Geophysical Research Letters, doi: 10.1029/2010GL044127.